Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Safe Travels in Ireland - Dunberg B&B



Jason here. I must confess I have never stayed in a B&B before our Ireland trip. B&Bs are far more popular then hotels in Ireland so we found ourselves booking a couple. I can start off by saying I loved our B&B experience, and hopefully will be booking more wherever our next adventure takes us. I found them to be cleaner, cheaper, better located, and larger than any hotel room I’ve booked in the past.

The first we stayed at was the Dunberg B&B in Cork. It’s run by Kay, who is extremely nice and well versed in celiac and gluten free foods.

As soon as we arrived Kay offered us some gluten free scones, tea or coffee. After such a long drive from Dublin, it was nice to just be able to relax. The scones were amazing. There were 2 with sultanas, and 2 plain. I particularly liked the sultana scones, which I ate with strawberry jelly. The black currents tasted very similar to raisins, and along with the strawberry jelly made the scones tasted very fruity. I think I ate 6 scones in the course of 2 and half days. When we left Kay even packed a couple up and let us take them with us for the car ride ahead.

It was also our first experience with a full Irish breakfast- bacon, sausages, black and white pudding, eggs, mushrooms, tomato, and beans, amongst other regional variations. The bacon was the usual Irish bacon, which tastes like thin cut and fried ham. I found it a bit saltier then American or Canadian bacon. The beans were in a sort of tomato based sauce, and everything was served piping hot.You should give it a try at least once during your stay!

In the morning, along with the full Irish breakfast we had, she made us some delicious Brown Bread. Brown bread reminded me of a less grainy wheat bread, and went excellent with butter. Kayleigh is even now searching for a recipe and I am sure will be trying to reproduce it hear at home.

Kayleigh here. Kay and her son really went out of their way to make sure we had a memorable stay in Cork. She covered everything from porridge to black and white puddings to chocolate fingers with our evening tea, without Jason ever needing to make a substitution or go without a part of the meal. She made sure we could find our way around the area, and very patiently and thoroughly answered our questions about gluten free dinner spots and what we might be able to find in other parts of Ireland. For this, I will always remember our stay at the Dunberg B&B, and cannot recommend it highly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment