Thursday, September 25, 2014

Mediterranean Kitchen Review



Kayleigh here. I had been hearing buzz for a while about a very accommodating Greek restaurant in the area, so we finally made our way out to see for ourselves. Mediterranean Kitchen in Bellevue has a fairly small space, not many tables, but is quite busy during the dinner hour. We came on a sunny July evening, so we were able to get a table outside where it was quieter, and despite being in an out-of-the-way spot our waiter was always prompt and attentive.

Bowls of aromatic, golden yellow soup were served as soon as we were seated, with the waiter reassuring us that the soup of the day was vegetarian as well as gluten and dairy free. Once he knew of our concern, he went over the menu and let us know the few dishes that did contain gluten, and that the pita bread that came complimentary with the entrees would be served on a separate plate for the table, not touching the rest of the dish. Instead of the usual feeling that we have to push for special treatment for Jason and really quiz them about the components of the dish, we got the impression that allergies and dietary preferences were carefully considered in the menu design. It was nice to go to a regular restaurant without feeling like you need to nag the staff!

As for the food, I really wish I had gotten a recipe for the starter soup they served- it was phenomenal for such a simple tasting dish! The chefs were clearly not afraid of strong flavors and bold combinations, as each dish was strongly spiced and memorable on its own, but managed to play well with the other components of the plate and give a balance to the meal. Despite how much I enjoyed it, though, I barely managed to make a dent in the giant plate, so I ended up using the doggy bagged rice and hummus in almost a weeks’ worth of lunches afterwards. Glad to say, though, that the flavors and textures held up well and tasted almost as good cold.

Jason here. Kayleigh has been wanted to visit a Greek restaurant for some time. Having visitors is a great time for us to go out and try things one or either of would not normally choose. Greek food just is not top of mind for me, so it’s not something we would usually go to ourselves. Mediterranean Kitchen is nice because it’s right downtown in Bellevue, with easy to find parking available.

For my meal I got the Lamb Shish Kabob, served with rice, and charbroiled tomatoes and onions, and a side bowl of soup. As Kayleigh mentioned, we were served the soup the day first and it was fantastic. I quickly downed the whole bowl, and considered ordering just a larger portion for my main dish. I didn’t quite catch its name, but it was a thick soup that I believe consisted of split peas.

The main dish was a very large portion, which I was thankful for. I’m well known for my love of left overs that I can take into lunch. Same as Kayleigh, when I finished it looked like I had barely made a dent. The yellow rice had a hint of saffron to it, but I couldn’t be certain. It was not mentioned specifically for my dish, but listed for a few of the others. The only bit I could have passed on was the Greek yogurt which adds a bit of sour to the dish. It doesn’t count against the dish, as I recognize it as a quirk of my own personal taste and I knew it was included when I ordered. Overall I was very satisfied with my meal, and even more so that I got to enjoy it for lunch the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment