Thursday, January 9, 2014

Juliano's Italian Pizzaria Review

Kayleigh here. For this past Thanksgiving, Jason and I went across the country to New Hampshire and enjoyed a family dinner at my Grandmother's house. Not only did everyone succeed in pulling off a delicious full gluten free spread, but we also got the chance to try a couple gluten free restaurants that had popped up since we were last in the area. One particular place that seemed to get a lot of attention in the Celiac community was Juliano's Italian Pizzaria in Derry, New Hampshire.

Just going by their website, it was a comfort to see how seriously they seemed to take keeping everything allergen-free. They acknowledge that their gluten free items are made in the same building as their standard menu, but are careful about keeping the foods very separate, and make sure to thoroughly clean and sterilize the designated equipment. Their gluten free menu is very extensive, including pastas, breaded items, and even a good selection of desserts, but what most people seemed to be raving about was the gluten free pizzas. So, we figured, let's start there.

Jason here. We ordered the pizza on our way to Kayleigh’s grandmother’s house. She was driving so she opted to eat hers when we arrived. However, everyone else ate theirs in the car, including myself. I sat the pizza box on a paper plate on my lap, and dug in slice by slice. It was thin crust, like all other gluten free pizza’s I’ve had. I prefer thin crust, so this was right up my alley. If I had to take a guess, the crust was made from rice flour, as it did not have that signature taste of corn bread I usually expect from gluten free pizza. The crust tasted just fine, and was crunchy on the edges- just how I like it. The toppings we ordered were feta, and pepperoni. And I’m happy to say, it was just fine without any grease blotting with a paper towel like we usually do. Ultimately, the pizza itself was great, although I think I personally prefer a corn flour based crust.

I noticed on the menu that gluten free pizzas were only available in small at the time of writing this review, so take that into account when ordering for a large family. I ate exactly half the pizza and felt full, and Kayleigh did the same for the rest.

Next time we drop by, we hope to venture out again and try different items on the menu ( gluten free cannolis?). Their pizza definitely lived up to the hype, so please let us know if you've got anything to share about your experiences at Juliano's. We would love to hear your take on what we should get next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment