Saturday, June 1, 2013

Lil' Jon Restaurant and Lounge Review



 EDIT - We visited Lil' Jon again in September, 2014. While we did not order food this time, we saw a sign up front saying that they have gluten free bread available as an option now, but note that the kitchen is not proofed against cross contamination. From the wording, it sounds they warn against people with gluten allergies dining here, so it is hard to say if we just got lucky the first time we went, or they do try to accommodate and want to put a disclaimer. If anyone has more information, please let us know in the comments below!

Jason here. Another little breakfast place we visited lately was Lil' Jon.
While they don’t have a gluten free menu, or even items marked off, we found some reviews online saying it was safe to eat. I was a little skeptical, but was willing to give it a try. I don’t mind having to ask if items are gluten free.

Unfortunately, the first thing I noticed about Little Johns was how fast things were moving. Everything felt extremely rushed. I barely felt like I had a chance to ask if anything was gluten free, and when I did I wasn’t sure if they really paid attention. To be honest, I felt a little uneasy. 

I ordered some eggs, bacon, and hash browns. To start, the hash browns were really good. They were extra crunchy, just how I like them. The bacon was also very crunchy, but a little overly salty. The eggs were over easy, just how I ordered them. Other than that, the breakfast was pretty generic. 

Ultimately, I think that is my problem with Little Johns. The food is just too generic to be worth going out to eat. I can make eggs, bacon, and hash browns at home that taste just as good, just as quickly. If the atmosphere was nicer, I would feel a little better about taking guests out to eat, but it just all felt to rush. 

Kayleigh here. Interestingly, my view differed a bit from Jason's. Now, I can be easily bribed by the fact they let me order a side of peanut butter (why can’t all breakfast places do that!), AND it was crunchy peanut butter. But the food was all pretty decent, servers were very attentive and always available, and the prices are definitely right. Probably the diviest sort of place a gluten-free diner can get away with going to, but sometimes that is just the kind of feeling you want in a restaurant. No frills, no pampering, just a hot food in the morning without the need to cook something up yourself.

As of right now, there is no official website, but most of the menu has been posted by a friendly Yelper here.

No comments:

Post a Comment