Thursday, April 9, 2015

Redmond Bar and Grill Review



Jason here. While looking for more places to try in downtown Redmond we discovered the aptly named Redmond Bar and Grill.

Be aware that parking can be a bit hard to find depending on what hour of the day you are heading there. You can check out their website which lists some nearby lot which are open to the public after certain hours.

The first time we went with friends and it was late at night so we got a nice booth to ourselves. While it was busy, there was still no wait time. Also despite the crowd I could always hear the conversation going on at my table. In contrast, the second time we went was closer to dinner and there was more people. This time it was just Kayleigh and I, and we were placed at a small table near the bar which was not really large enough for two people ordering a full dinner. There was still no wait, so that was nice.

On both visits our waiter was kind and helped us figure out which items were gluten free. Note, that while they list items that are gluten free on their menu, they do not take into account items which go into the same deep fryer. This eliminated quite a few options off the appetizer menu.

I ordered the Redmond’s Burger and swapped the French fries with the soup of the day, clam chowder. I could tell the burger was cooked at a high temperature, with the outside a bit charcoaled, but the inside still pink. I ordered medium, so this was fine by me and it tasted fantastic. The Chef’s secrete spices tasted like a buffalo sauce mixed with the garlic mayo. I wasn’t expecting anything spicy, so it was a bit of a surprise. The sauce was heaped on the burger, so it really carried a flavor punch.

The clam chowder my favorite part of the whole meal. It was thick, but still creamy and had plenty of clams in it. The taste was like the clam chowders you get walking along a shore front, as opposed to the overly salty stuff you find in canned soups. I often ask about the soup of the day and places we go, but it’s usually not carried that day or not gluten free. Indeed when we went back, our waiter told us they do not serve soups on Sundays.

Speaking of our second visit, I also ordered a Redmond’s Burger but this time with just a small Redmond’s House salad. While all of the veggies were fresh, the salad just tasted bland. It might have to do with me picking out all the cucumbers though. It was essentially just some lettuce, carrots, and few grapes and sprinkling of feta. The first time we went, I love my burger so I was excited to dig into that. Unfortunately, this time around it was burnt to a crisp which was pretty much all I tasted. This was not helped by the fact that they went really light on the sauce, which also made the burger dry.

Redmond’s Bar and Grill is an interesting one. On one hand we had an excellent meal the first time, and I felt safe eating there with my allergy. On the other hand the second time we went was less then fantastic and there are plenty of other options nearby. I have a feeling I’d be willing to give them a shot again on a weekday where I could hopefully get that clam chowder again.

Kayleigh here. One quick thing- I appreciated the salad using feta and grapes for added flavor, instead of just piling on a strong dressing. To conclude the review, I think the server’s knowledge of food allergies and the quieter hour made a much better visit on our first try, so I would recommend that you avoid the busier mealtimes when you visit here. The food was prepared with more attention paid to details, and the atmosphere was much more conducive to talking and socializing when it was less crowded. And when you’re looking for a wholly gluten free experience, the last thing you want is rushed cooks and frazzled serving staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment