Thursday, December 4, 2014

Flying Apron Review



Kayleigh here. Finding ourselves in Redmond without a lunch plan, we ended up popping in to Flying Apron to scout out our options. Expecting to make a lunch out of cookies and muffins, we were pleasantly surprised to be greeted with a menu of daily lunch specials above the confectionery counters. Of course, we still had to get some sweets for later to thoroughly review their offerings.

After much debate, I finally settled on a veggie-loaded slice of pizza, although I was very tempted by the sandwiches being made on garlic herb bread. The pizza crust, I must say, actually tasted identical to its gluten filled counterpart, which I cannot say for any pizza place we have tried in the past. The vegetables were roasted and well seasoned, and the cashew cheese was a delicious addition. I am still not sure if I would call it cheese, but the rich garlicky spread had a lovely flavor of its own.
Amongst their premade offerings were cakes by the slice, cupcakes, cookies, muffins, brownies, cinnamon buns- you’re bound to fullfil a craving coming here. The variety of muffin flavors was sorely tempting, but Jason and I ended up getting a slice of chocolate mint cake to go. The texture of the cake was amazingly moist and fluffy, and the minty frosting was a refreshing juxtaposition to the richness. We’ll just have to try some of those muffins next time we make a visit.

In addition to the bakery items that could be individually bought as snacks or desserts, Flying Apron also offers the option to make larger orders of whole pies and custom-order cakes for parties or events. Even adding one to the dessert offerings at a luncheon will make a vegan or celiac's day- it is such a nice feeling to realize you actually have an option available.

Jason here. For my order I decided to go with something hearty. I had been craving lasagna for the last couple weeks, so it was exactly what I ordered after spotting it on the menu. Since, we were getting food to go, and it was fairly busy in the restaurant at the moment it was an added bonus that it was prepackaged in a to-go container. By the looks of it I could tell I would get at least a day of leftovers too. The staff offered to heat everything up there, but we declined since it would be cold again by the time we arrived home. After heating it up in the microwave, I dug right in. 

I had forgotten the lasagna was also vegan, so it contained cashew cheese instead of the regulars. This made the lasagna a bit sharper then I was expecting, but still overall good. To compensate it had loads of herb seasonings piled on, which I found easier to eat after mixing them in a bit more. 

Overall I’m still craving my cheesy lasagna, but we found another gluten free place in the area where I definitely know I would be safe. They had a variety of items, and next time I’d like to try a bit more of their pastries.

No comments:

Post a Comment