Thursday, November 6, 2014

Bombay House Review



Jason here. Recently we went out with some friends on a whim to Bombay House in Bellevue. Bombay house is an Indian restaurant located in south Bellevue. It was on our list of places to check out, so we knew it had gluten free options, as well as fantastic reviews online. Well I definitively say it earned every single one of those positive reviews. This place was fantastic and hits every mark of a great gluten free restaurant.

I want to start with the service. Normally I skip over this part, but I want to really highlight how fantastic a service we got. Not only did our waiter crack a joke that had our whole table giggling, but later on I noticed they got a second table laughing and conversing with the staff. Everyone here just seemed to be in such a jovial and happy mood, it was infectious.

Next, the number of Gluten free options is outstanding. How many you ask? So many that rather than listing the items on their menu gluten free, they instead choose to list only the items which have gluten. Nearly all of those items with gluten are restricted to their flat breads menu and even there existed a gluten free option. I’ll get to that in a bit though.

Not only did the menu clearly call out which items had gluten which had me feeling safe at the start, but the waiter was very careful to let me know which items had gluten when the items were brought out. Specifically my table ordered a variety of flatbreads, so even though I already knew those contained gluten it was nice to be reminded and reassured. It was clear the staff deals with gluten intolerants like myself fairly often.

For an appetizer the table ordered the onion pakora. These are effectively sliced onions, super battered in chickpea flour, spiced, and deep fried. They came with two sauces, which I used the one that tasted sweet almost like an extra sweet duck sauce. Wow, these things were amazing. Ridiculously crunchy and over the top flavor. I’ll be ordering these every time hands down.

My main meal consisted of Saag Paneer (medium), which came with a side of rice. I also ordered some Chana Roti, as a flat bread option to give it a try and compliment the main dish. For my drink I ordered the Bombay Lime, which consisted of lime juice, club soda, and some spices I could not identify.

To start, I will say the drink had a lot of spice in it. It was not spicy as in heat, just spices that I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I enjoyed it, but think I would order something a bit less intense next time. Perhaps one of the yogurt drinks the whole table seemed to really be enjoying.

The Saag Paneer was excellent. Lots of paneer, and the right texture of blended spinach. It tasted how I like it, which is cheesy, creamy, garlic, and just a hint of salt.

The real surprise winner though was the Chana Roti. This flat bread came out thin as most flatbreads, but also crunchy while maintained a bit of flexibility. It was downright delicious. This whole meal really opened my mind up to the possibilities of chickpeas which I have traditionally not liked. Scooping up some of the Saag Paneer with rice onto the Chana Roti was the perfect blend of textures and flavors.

To cap off everything, Bombay House delivers. Previously our options consisted of some fairly expensive pizza places nearby, so the number of times we have ordered out in the last 2 years can be counted on one hand. With Bombay House as an option it makes ordering out a much more appealing option.

Kayleigh here. I do not know how much I can add to Jason's glowing review of this place, but everything from the atmosphere to the food itself was fantastic. The Strawberry Lassi was a perfect foil to a spicy entree, and even the rice was wonderfully fluffy and worth mentioning by itself. It was my first time trying Matar Paneer, and I am really looking forward to finishing off what little leftovers I have of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment