Thursday, October 10, 2013

Bake's Place Review



Jason here. After work Kayleigh and I decided to check out a local restaurant in Bellevue called Bake’s Place. I had skipped lunch that day, so I was pretty hungry. We sat down and realized they were only serving dishes from the Happy Hour menu, which happens from 3-6PM. Unfortunately, this menu only has a limited selection but did have a few gluten free items. 

For myself I got the Blue Cheese Stuffed Dates, wrapped in bacon as well as the Steak Bites. Kayleigh ordered the Fried Calamari, but those were not gluten free so I stayed way. When my plates came out I was pretty disappointed to only see 4 bites of steak on skewers, and 6 stuffed dates. The food was tremendous. The stuffed dates reminded me of our wedding, as it was one of the items we were handed after coming in from the cold. If you’ve never had bacon wrapped blue cheese stuffed dates, I suggest you check them out. They are sweet, and have an interesting texture of crunch and potatoes at the same time. The steak bites were some of the best steak I’ve had. I was cooked medium to medium rare, and practically dissolved in my mouth. So the food was excellent. However, I was starving and it was a little soul crushing to see the small plates. In all fairness to the Bake’s Place, that is completely because I skipped lunch and went while they were in the midst of Happy Hour.

The atmosphere was nice. When we first walked in, I thought no one else was there, but quickly realized that everyone was just sitting outside, and we had entered through the lobby entrance. I can’t speak much to atmosphere inside as we sat outside and enjoyed Bellevue summer weather, but I imagine it would be very quiet being the only person inside. Outside, there were a bunch of people all enjoying the happy hour drinks and the occasional side dish.

Kayleigh here. I agree that the food was well presented, well cooked, and well seasoned, but the portions of the happy hour dishes, well, leave something to be desired. If we venture back during a better time of day, we’ll have to give a more thorough review of Bake’s Place, but for now our only experience is this. On another note, this is the only place I have been to that presented me with a hot, spiked coffee when I ordered a Nutty Irishmen. Guess I should have asked for a drink menu to look over!

If you’re stopping by in between lunch and dinner, then I would say sit outside and enjoy a drink and an appetizer. However, don’t go on an empty stomach or expecting a filling meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment