Thursday, August 29, 2013

HighScore Burgers Review



EDIT- Since this review, HighScore Burgers has closed its doors. It sounds like a new joint will open up in its place, but we'll have to wait and see if they also offer a gluten free menu.

Jason here. The other week Kayleigh and I went out with some friends to HighScore Burgers, a local burger place in Redmond.  

We had heard about this place as a cool little shop where you can go, have a burger and some ice cream, and then drop a few quarters to place arcade machines and pinball. I was expecting a lot more neon lights and the sounds of arcade games. Instead, it was a much more relaxed atmosphere and reminded me of a boardwalk shop, where you could sit outside and enjoy your meal and cool breeze. We did go during the middle of the day, so there were only a few other people sitting outside and relaxing.
                               
I had a lot of fun playing arcade games from my child hood like Ninja Turtles and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. They also had a bunch of pinball machines including a Roller Coaster Tycoon one, and then a handful classic games like Ms. Pacman, Galaga, and Centipede.  I did not get a chance to play some of the classic game tables, so pardon if I am mistaken on the names.

Before we went, we saw there were some reviews online which mentioned they had gluten free buns. That is always a very good sign, as gluten free buns often mean more variety in side options, too. Unfortunately, when I asked I was told that effectively only the burgers were gluten free and they were out of gluten free buns. So for my meal I ordered two bacon cheese burgers on lettuce. The burgers themselves were good, but the lack of any side made the meal lack in variety.

Kayleigh here. HighScore Burgers does get a few points in my book for Vegetarian/Vegan options on top of the Gluten Free buns. Their black bean burger was quite tasty with their house sauce, and actually went well with the lettuce leaves (again, they were out of GF buns when we went). They had a surprisingly large selection of vegan ice cream as well, but unfortunately they did note that the ice cream is not guaranteed to be gluten free, due to equipment cross-contamination.

If I am walking through the area again, and all I want is a quick snack I would stop here again grab a burger and play a few games. If I was going out looking for a meal, I would unfortunately look elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment