Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wild Ginger Review



Jason here. A couple weeks ago, I decided to meet Kayleigh for a nice lunch. We opted to go to The Wild Ginger in Bellevue. We had heard great things about both the food, and how gluten friendly it was.

The first thing you will notice in The Wild Ginger is the great service. Both times I have gone they have been incredibly friendly. Last time when I left, the hostess remembered my name and called me by name to have a great day. As someone who can barely remember the name of someone I talk to every day, I was impressed. The entire staff just had an air of professionalism, rarely found in most places.

The second thing you will notice is how gluten friendly they are. Everything on the menu is clearly labeled if it is gluten free, and\or vegan. Without me hinting at all, the wait staff asked if either of us had dietary restrictions. When I mentioned being gluten free, he asked if it was allergy or diet. After responding allergy, he informed me they take extra precautions and prepare the food separately. This has happened both times I have eaten there, and they were busy with lunch rush. This made me feel completely confident that my food would be free of any gluten.

For my meal I ordered the Panang Beef Curry. To quote there menu, “slices of flank steak in coconut milk spiced with cardamom, coriander, galangal, Thai basil and peanuts.” Usually I am not a fan of coconut. For some reason the taste just does not appeal to me. However, I have found coconut milk to barely taste of coconut at all. So if you are like me and don’t like coconut, don’t let that stop you from ordering a dish with coconut milk.

The meal was absolutely fantastic. The steak was perfectly cooked, completely submerged in the delicious sauce. The sauce itself had a creamy rich taste to it, with little bursts of flavor from the spices. Mixing in some of the white rice, and eating with a bite of steak was how I preferred it. I can’t overstate how good this was. The plate was fairly large, and I completely scraped every last bit off to eat.

Kayleigh here. The meal I chose was the special- a pineapple prawn curry. Absolutely beautiful combination of flavors, that really brought me back to my favorite curry dish from a little restaurant back in New Hampshire. Seriously, that restaurant is where I requested to go every time I was on home on break in college, and Wild Ginger did not disappoint on replicating that delightful dish. Besides the amazing food and conscientious staff, the seating and décor really gave that extra push in the ‘would go again’ direction, with every table giving you either a birds-eye view of the streets below, or a railing-side seat overlooking the floor below, lending an open, but intimate feeling throughout.

To wrap this up, the food was phenomenal, the price was fantastic, and the wait staff was amazing. Gluten free or not, I absolutely recommend you check out the The Wild Ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment