Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Product Review- Breadmaker!


So, continuing the theme of presents, we recently received a lovely housewarming gift in the mail- a breadmaker!

Noticing that it came with a recipe booklet, I was completely prepared to sit there and scoff at all the different wheat ideas I could never use, when I noticed a two recipe section for gluten free bread. Well then!

So, with all of the ingredients already lining the cupboard, we immediately threw a loaf together, and sat expectantly in front of the machine, watching it do it's magic.

Well, okay, we played a couple hours of Diablo III, then ambled back in shortly after hearing the beep. The loaf came out easily, perfectly mixed, with the lovely aroma of fresh baked glutinous bread.

The crust on it was lovely, although the top caved in after a bit- guess the liquid amount was a bit off. The bread itself was very hearty and thick- lovely for soups and burgers, but a little too heavy for everyday deli sandwiches. I would still recommend it, although I think Jason and I will continue experimenting to find a fluffier loaf.
Jason here- I used the bread for a couple purposes.
First I used it as sandwich bread. Every morning Kayeigh would make me a delicious turkey sandwich, with American cheese slices, and mayo. The bread was definitely too dense for this purpose. It also tended to break into pieces, since it didn’t have the stretchiness normal bread has. The taste was fine, tasting approximately like regular white bread. The search for good sandwich bread continues.
Next, I used the bread with some chili we made. I found the denseness of the bread made it easier to dip and scoop some chili onto. However, too big of a piece and it would just break into smaller pieces. While it was certainly okay for this purpose, and might be great if someone was just looking for very dense bread, I still prefer bread which holds its shape through a crunchier and stiffer crust then just being all around dense.
I’ll keep eating any bread we create, and we will be sure to report back and successful attempts we have that are worth noting.

No comments:

Post a Comment